Monday, March 15, 2010

Lipstick on a Pig

Before we moved into our REO house that had sat vacant for over a year, we did a MASSIVE cleaning. John literally vacuumed an entire shop-vac full of dirt and dust off the carpeted floors, and I spent hours scrubbing toilets/showers/sinks/cabinets. We were so happy to be done with the cleaning push and then the move, that we didn't even think about decorating/painting. So for the last year, I've been living with paint colours that hurt my eyes, and no motivation to change things. Notice the GREEN walls.

Last April, I bought some paint when Home Depot was having a sale on Behr, including a mail-in-rebate. And just like to mail-in-rebate, I never got around to painting. Until last week. I taped off the downstairs bathroom, filled cracks/holes in the wall, and painted like a mad woman. Poor Josh had to ask to use the restroom. I decided to just paint the walls and deal with the molding/ceiling later (self-preservation).

I used Behr's Light French Gray (swatch can be found here: # 720E-2) on top of the sagey-green that was in the bathroom when we bought the house. Two coats of paint later, and it looks a bit like a baby-blue, and the cool paint colour is REALLY clashing with the warm undertones of the travertine and slate tiles. So I think I'll be repainting in the future, but not just yet. Maybe next year :o) I want a warmer gray, for sure. Slate blue/gray.

I also put up come of the 6-piece brushed nickle bathroom fixtures that John and I scored at Costco a few weeks ago for $30. I can't find them online, but for the $30, we got a large towel rod, a medium towel rod, a glass shelf, a 2-prong robe hook, a hanging towel loop, and a TP holder. Not too shabby! I bought two sets, so I'm going to mix and match them between the upstairs and downstairs bathroom.
I also got the hang the drawing I completed last week!

No comments: