Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Know Which Way the Wind Blows

Last April, I bought some paint. I was going to paint the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms, because the SAGEY green in the DS bath and the LEMONY yellow in the US bath were killing me. I'm more of a warm gray/blue kind of a person, and my eyes were telling me they were in pain.
Then, I lost the motivation (because there were other things to do), and the cans of paint sat in the spare bedroom, collecting dust in the corner.
This last weekend, I got off my butt and spackled the holes, filled in the dents and dings, and resolved that this week, after work, I would FINALLY paint the walls in the damned DS bath. It'll be my first painting project as an adult (I remember half-heartedly helping my mom as a kid, though I doubtlessly did more harm than good), and I'm nervous about it (chicken-heart!).
But, I'll give you before and after pictures, so you can ooooh and aaaaah about my madskillz.
In the meantime, this is the drawing I completed the put in the bathroom once it's all painted and purty.
It's based off a photograph I found years ago (and I cannot find the original source of the picture, but here's the image). The original artist took a photo, pushed the contrast up to 11, and then created a negative of the image.
And here's my interpretation:

I think I like the original better--the square orientation is great, and I love how the trees look all wild and yet strangely calm.
Regardless, it's so moooooody, and I think it'll match the lovely french grey I chose for the bathroom, and the sheer size of it will help to fill up the massive blank wall above the tub. I'll post piccies when it's in place.
Click for more flash-tastic pictures of the drawing.

No comments: