Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mountain Landscape

My friend Mickey asked me to make a birthday card for his wife's birthday, and since I'm quite fond of Mickey and Carrie, I immediately agreed (despite having many unfinished projects looming over me, and school starting).
Mickey's only direction was that he and Carrie would be spending the upcoming weekend in the mountains, and since they're both avid back packers, something mountain/wildflower themed would be nice. I waited until inspiration struck, and decided to do a multi-medium piece, using graphite (I'm just getting back into graphite, after not using it for art purposes for nearly 9 years), watercolour, and Prismacolours.
First, I found a photograph of mountains that I liked by searching with Google Images. I sketched it out on a 5x7 piece of card stock with my graphite pencils. I've forgotten how much I enjoy graphite, how easily it blends and erases. I was a bit clumsy to start out, but quickly remembered how easy and forgiving it is to work with. After I was satisfied with the black & white portion of the card, I took a separate sheet of card stock and sketched out the area I would need to cover. Next, I used some masking medium and a paint brush to "dot" the paper randomly, not really caring too much about the shape of the dots and their arrangement. I then used my trust water-soluble watercolour pencils in light green, dark green, light brown, and dark brown to fill in between the dots. A quick wash with a barely moist paint brush later, and I had a nice background for my wildflower field. After the paper dried, I used an eraser to remove the masking medium, which resisted the paint, leaving white dots behind. I then used my Prismacolours to fill in the white dots. Finally, I cut the wildflower field out and glued it to the original 5x7 card.

No comments: