Tuesday, May 18, 2010

DIY Sunburst Mirror Design

So I've noticed an alarming number of design blogs that feature sunburst mirrors. And I WANT one, but I don't want to shell out the $200 (for a cheapie) to $1500+ (for a HOLY F). And with my false sense of belief in my woodworking abilities bolstered by the relative success with the magnetic knife holder I made for my brother in law, I've convinced myself that I would make my own sunburst mirror out of a 3" thick piece of wood cut into a circle, a bunch of dowels of different diameters, some circular wood cut outs, and a convex mirror (the type you'd expect to see on the side mirrors of a truck). And maybe some spray paint for a guilded look--haven't thought that far yet. I think it'll be a relatively easy project to complete. Hooray for band saws and drill presses!
So tonight, I decided to put my Word drawing skills to the test, and I made a mock-up of what the mirror will look like (or, at least, what I hope it will look like). I'll add this to the list of things I want to make, like the mailbox. Now, keep in mind that this is a Word "drawing" and it's not to scale or anything, but you get the idea.

No comments: