Monday, December 7, 2009

Kraft Paper Laurel Wreath

A confession: I hate Martha Stewart.

I think it's because she's so darned stylish and smart and savvy and seemingly frigid. I hate her perfection. I look at her and her perfect crafts/creations and I am Jack's raging bile duct and I get the unmistakable impulse to "destroy[] something beautiful."
And yet I cannot help but LOVE most everything she does. When I go through the issues of Martha Stewart Living, I say aloud "I hate Martha Stewart" every time I rip out a series of beautifully staged photos and how-tos (John can attest to this). I cursed myself when I was seduced into ordering Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts and I whined each time I placed a sticky note on the pages so I'd remember exactly which projects I wanted to try first, second, third, fourth, fifth......hundredth.

Last year, I saw this wreath project in her magazine, and resolved (!) that I would make one for myself.
While I was fighting off teh pig plague, I made it, with a few notable exceptions:
Folding the strips of Kraft paper accordion-style works ok, but it takes SO much time to do it. So instead, I cut 2-3" strips of craft paper, folded it down the center length-wise, and then cut out the leaves down the length of the strip. It made it fast work, and ensured each leaf would be shaped a little differently from all the others.

I also made some leaves with scalloped edges--I just twisted the scissors slightly as I cut. I suppose I could have used some edger scissors, as well. I just did this so there'd be some variation in the leaves.

I didn't have the fancy schmancy metallic paper, so I took some gold-coloured acrylic craft paint and watered it down a LOT. I then lightly brushed it onto some random leaves I had already cut out. I painted one side and let it dry as I painted more, then I went back and painted the reverse side. I took the same paint and added some red acrylic craft paint to give it a more burnished hue, and painted some more leaves, using the same rotation as before (fronts first, then backs).

Stapling DID not work. It was impossible to staple the leaves to the wireform and have them actually stay on (typically, the staple punctured only one part of the leaf, and it could rip out VERY easily). After trying to staple a few on, I gave up on got the handy glue gun all hot and bothered, and glued the leaves to the frame. This was WAY easier than the stapler, and I think it'll ensure the finished product will survive for many years to come.
I didn't have any pretty satin ribbon, so I used two lengths of 1" grosgrain ribbon in slate blue and sage green. I think the two tones look nice, and the grosgrain gives it a certain earthiness that it wouldn't have with satin.

When it was done, I attached a 3M Command Metal Hook to the inside plate glass window in the foyer, and hunt it there, so it's visible from the street. It matches our Chocolate Lava excellently.
Anyway, here's my finished product:

Click here for more piccies/enlargements of the ones above. And doesn't it look beautiful on my lovurley wool peacoat?

No comments: